Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rise and fall of basal body temperature during luteal phase

Ok. So I did a little bit more research on the Internet in regards to what causes temperature to rise or fall during luteal phase (post ovulation).

I found the tryingtoconceive.com site:

The high levels of estrogen causes the temperatures to be low before ovulation. Following ovulation, progesterone levels rise causing temperatures to rise as well.

What is a slow-riser?
In some women, the thermal shift may be gradual over several days. They a called slow-risers, which means that it took a little longer for progesterone levels to rise high enough for temperatures to become elevated. This is a normal finding and does not affect fertility.

What is a "fallback" temperature?
Some women may see a drop in temperature the day or two after the thermal shift. It is likely due to a surge of estrogen. This is normal and does not affect fertility. It should rise again the next day.

My temps have dropped, then rises after that, then drops again, rise again. Is the estrogen in my body engaging in an epic battle with the progesterone?? I haven't gotten confirmation that high levels of estrogen causes your temp to drop... the only thing any website focuses on is that progesterone causes it to increase. So does this mean my progesterone levels keep dropping then increasing? :(

All I want to know is that there is enough progesterone for a healthy pregnancy. So, we'll probably have some answers on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was wondering how everything turned out for you? I am ttc too. And having similar questions. I am a slow riser. And track everything as I should, have sex at the right time, so I'm just wondering if I do not have enough progesterone to sustain the egg? Do not yet understand and going to the doctor next week for blood work. Been trying since December. Hope you have had success!!

Elizabeth

nikkisa889 said...

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..extra wait .. … online gambling