Sunday, June 16, 2013

bed rest day 5 (31 weeks)

Lying around all day is actually really hard.  There are so many things physically you take for granted like.. sitting up straight and being able to breathe normally.

In a lying position, your chest is always compressed and so not only are you not really getting enough oxygen, but your chest muscles start to hurt and you get random heart murmurs.

Then when you do roll up to go potty, your body is not accustomed to normal gravity, and so every organ feels like its getting sucked down to the ground, including your uterus, which is very scary.  You catch your breath and take a few weak steps, and you realize how much leg muscles you've already lost.  In fact, I have already lost 4 lbs of muscle mass just laying around, even though I have normal meals and snacks.  My muscles have atrophied... so quickly.

I am trying to be faithful and stay on strict bed rest. But since I can't afford a nurse, I have to potty in the toilet... and try to bathe myself. I'm also supposed to drink lots and lots of water, which means more trips to the bathroom.  So today, I've probably gotten up every 3-4 hours and had a sit down shower for 5 mins tops (since I can't stand for more than a min without feeling like passing out).  I have noticed tightening almost every hour at different spots of my uterus... sort of like wherever the baby was pushing me at the moment it starts to contract is where I feel tightening most.  I'm wary of them, but not too alarmed, especially because I am not bleeding.  In fact, it has been clear all day.

Maybe I should try to get up less though.  But then again, when your bladder is full, you get more contractions.

No comments: